- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the spices from the spice sachet into the pan and sizzle for 20 seconds. Add the mushrooms and brown for 3-4 minutes over a high-ish heat.
- Add the contents of the sauce pouch and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the yoghurt.
- Massage the rice in the pouch to break up any lumps. Layer the rice evenly on top of the ‘curry’.
- Cover and steam over the lowest heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse and the rice to steam through. Serve as it is or garnished with crispy fried onions and saffron milk.
Simmer a good pinch of saffron strands in 4 tbsp of milk and reduce by half. Spoon over the rice.
Crispy Fried Onions
Heat 1” of oil in a medium frying pan. Add your onions and fry them over a moderate heat until they are golden. Keep moving them around in the pan so they colour evenly. Take out with a spoon and place on kitchen roll.